A sponsor is an important witness and partner for a Confirmation candidate. A sponsor is a mentor or faith coach - someone to help a candidate remain firm and strong in their faith. Sponsors provide guidance and prayers and generally are a part of the candidate’s life after Confirmation.
A sponsor should be:
- A personal role model, willing to share his/her own experience of faith with the candidate.
- May not be a parent of the candidate. Parents stand in the same relationship as their teen as they did at Baptism.
- May be a baptismal Godparent, thus emphasizing more clearly the relationship between Baptism and Confirmation.
- Must be a fully initiated Catholic, this means you should have received the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist.
- Should be a registered, active member of a Catholic Church.
Once you are asked to be a sponsor you will need to complete the Sponsor Eligibility Form.
IHM Parishioners guidelines for Sponsor Eligibility form completion:
- Complete the top portion of the form and sign it.
- Return to IHM at the Sponsor Meeting in November or to the rectory beforehand.
NON IHM Parishioners guidelines for Sponsor Eligibility form completion:
Complete the top portion of the form and sign it.
- Bring the form to your home parish office, the parish where you are registered.
- Have your parish secretary complete the bottom portion of the form, pastor signs and affix the parish seal to the form.
- Return to IHM at the Sponsor Meeting in November or to the rectory beforehand
The Sponsor Eligibility Form may be found below.
Candidate Sponsor Video Reflection. This link will take you to YouTube to view the recording.
Candidate Sponsor Video Reflection Questions. To be used in conjunction with the video clip.