A sponsor is an important witness and partner for a Confirmation candidate. A sponsor is a mentor or faith coach - someone to help a candidate remain firm and strong in their faith. Sponsors provide guidance and prayers and generally are a part of the candidate’s life after Confirmation.
A sponsor should be:
- A personal role model, willing to share his/her own experience of faith with the candidate.
- May not be a parent of the candidate. Parents stand in the same relationship as their teen as they did at Baptism.
- May be a baptismal Godparent, thus emphasizing more clearly the relationship between Baptism and Confirmation.
- Must be a fully initiated Catholic, this means you should have received the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist.
- Should be a registered, active member of a Catholic Church.
Once you are asked to be a sponsor you will need to complete the Sponsor Eligibility Form.
IHM Parishioners guidelines for Sponsor Eligibility form completion:
- Complete the top portion of the form and sign it.
- Return to IHM at the Sponsor Meeting in November or to the rectory beforehand.
NON IHM Parishioners guidelines for Sponsor Eligibility form completion:
Complete the top portion of the form and sign it.
- Bring the form to your home parish office, the parish where you are registered.
- Have your parish secretary complete the bottom portion of the form and affix the parish seal.
- Return to IHM at the Sponsor Meeting in November or to the rectory beforehand
The Sponsor Eligibility Form may be found below.